PhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, July 11, 2011

Linky Party-Beginning of the Year Read Alouds

New Read Alouds for the Fall Linky Party

I am joining my first Linky Party. I hope I have done it correctly :)

Here are my top read alouds for September.

1. First Day Jitters by Julie Dannenberg

The kids get a kick out of this story as it has a surprise ending...the teacher is nervous about starting school! We all enjoy the story so much it has become a staple in our class library.

2. Froggy Goes to School by Jonathan London
I was a little very skeptical about this book as I thought it might be a little babyish for grade 2/3. It is HILARIOUS and appropriate. I read it every September and LOVE it!

3. How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teague
This story is wonderful to use for a Writing activity. The boy in the book has a vivid imagination and kids get a kick out of hearing what he says happened during his summer.

4. Wemberley Worried by Kevin Henkes
Actually, many of Kevin Henkes books are perfect for September. They really appeal to kids and provide a great jumping off point for discussions.

5. Wilson and Miss Lovely by John Stadler
A story about starting school. Another theme of being worried about the first days of school but it is definitely worth the read!

* For the first time ever, I had the kids complete an activity at the end of June that I will also use as a read aloud in September. Each student traced their hand and wrote one piece of advice for the upcoming kids. I cut out the hands and glued each one to a piece of cardstock. I then glued a picture of the child who wrote the advice beside the hand. Finally, I laminated the pages, bound them and am ready to go!